Monday, January 30, 2012

Our Final Days...

Kimberly Blasnik uses a solar powered satellite device to upload all of our blogs throughout the trip. Photo Credit: Jon Cox
Carly Burrus, Aileen Hearn, Mel Cleary, Amelia Wang, Katie Yost, Erin Cordiner, Holly Pierson, and Chris Stejskal taking a break on the beach after a long afternoon of snorkeling in the Indian Ocean. Photo Credit: Kimberly Blasnik
Matthew Grasso snorkels while scanning the reef for a variety of marine species. Photo Credit: Kimberly Blasnik
The largest bonfire ever, built to celebrate the finale of our trip! Photo Credit: Christine Edwards
Preston Kinkle showing off his trendy tire shoes. Photo Credit: Kimberly Blasnik




We stayed in Arusha at the Pamoja Inn for two nights and had time to finish all of our work. We then visited the Cultural Heritage Center, the largest art gallery in Africa. There was an eye-catching collection of paintings, life-sized wood carvings, traditional masks, and beadwork. From there we went to the Maasai Market, a crowded cluster of open air shops where the owners will try and say anything to persuade you to buy some of their hand-made goods. We were able to practice some of our Swahili and bartering skills and made out with some great deals. Preston even traded his sleeping pad and wallet for a pair of sandals made from recycled tires, they are all the rage in Tanzania! Later that evening we attended a silent auction of photographs of the Hadza by Jon Cox and Daudi and Trude Peterson. All proceeds from the artwork go the Dorobo fund to benefit the Hadza.
The next day we set out on a long and hot bus ride to the coast. It was an exhausting day of travel, but what awaited us at Pembe Abwe beach was worth the hassle. We were met with soft white sand and warm water as we walked along the beach to our huts overlooking the Indian Ocean. We had barely set our bags down and we were headed to the water for a refreshing swim before dinner. Over the next two days we took turns kayaking through mangroves and boated to a sandbar for an afternoon of snorkeling. We saw many exciting marine species including clown fish, an octopus, a sea turtle, and dolphins. We also celebrated the end of our study abroad trip with an epic bon fire on the beach. Tomorrow we begin our long journey home and we can’t wait to see you all!

Don’t forget to order our course book recapping our entire trip! Details coming soon…

16 comments:

  1. Preston,

    I'm glad to see that you're going to come back with an authentic pair of flipflops :p You're such a handful.

    Can't wait to see you soon!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, not a bad way to wind down this amazing month! Another gorgeous spot! The beach looks pristine and the color of the water is pretty unbeatable. And you continued to see more great animal species ~ yay! I can only imagine what mixed emotions you all have now, as you prepare to head home. It must be very hard to leave that beautiful country, your frequent adventures, and the people who have hosted you so warmly and taught you so much. And although it will be different being back on campus than being together in Africa, fortunately you do not have to leave each other.

    I haven't wanted to say this on a blog because I feel selfish and I have not wanted your time there to go too quickly, but to be honest, I can't wait to see you, Emma, and I hope I get to meet many of the rest of you at the airport on Wed. Wishing you all a safe and enjoyable trip back to the US. I know you're coming back in some ways changed young men and women. Thank you again for sharing everything with us so marvelously on this blog. Em, we're so excited to see you and your thousands of pictures :) ! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe it's over! I think I am responsible for 1000 if the hits on this blog! It has been so great to be able to follow your adventures. I can't wait to see you Sam. Safe travel. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting us tag along on your epic adventure with your stunning photographs and detailed descriptions. I agree with Rachel, while I am sure you will return home missing the sights, sounds and people of Tanzania, you will have each other and a kinship of shared adventure. Thank you to the profs for quarterbacking this amazing experience ( Superbowl Sunday so I had to use a football analogy) and sheparding our young adults safely on this journey. I, too, am curious about how Africa may have altered your outlook on life. I wonder if the profs would consider organizing a mini excursion to include family members? Meg, we are literally counting down the hours until tomorrow afternoon.
    Are any other parents staying at the Holiday Inn in Newark tonight? it would be fun to meet.

    Safe travels home and of love to Meg
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. It,s so nice to wake up to this blog and the wonderful photos, I will miss this routine. So happy that I could follow this wonderful journey with all of you. Thank you to the professors for sharing this experience with our children. Safe travels to all and I can,t wait to see you tomorrow! Love to Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been an amazing journey for us too - everyday we would race to the computer to see the latest blog! It has been more fun for us than we ever imagined! The beauty and diversity of the country is unbelievable....what a great opportunity this has been. Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!
    Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel,

    What a wonderful end to your amazing adventure. We can't to see you and all your work. Get home safely. It's so nice to say "see you tomorrow!!"

    Love, Mom and Dad xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic end to this incredible journey! The blog has been such a wonderful way to share your adventures. We really appreciate everyone taking the time to update it for all of us back at home. Many thanks to Dr. Bowman and Professor Cox for all their efforts overseeing this amazing trip.
    Lots of love Becca! So looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what beautiful images and tales told about your journey. The perfect ending to what seems like the perfect trip. I can't believe it's over already. Bittersweet for the travelers I'm sure. I can't wait to see the book and my girl Christine!

    Sending love and prayers for safe travel . . .

    BTW-does the 20,000th Blog Viewer get a prize? Maybe I could chaperone the next trip if you don't have something picked out?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous end to a wonderful journey!!! I know for you all and really for me also. I've enjoyed reading every story and seeing all the pictures of your adventures through Africa. I'm a little sad that it has to end but want to thank all of the UDEL students for taking us on the ride with them. The weekly blog reports and great anticipation of what was going to come next made me want to take a flight there myself... :-) I have to say I enjoyed every single minute of your stories depicted here and the outstanding photos to go along with them. I wish you all safe travels back... Lots of hugs to Megan. We can't wait to see you!!! Love, Chris and Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Professors for leading such a rewarding and unique experience for our students! We have already heard so many memorable stories during the long drive home from the airport. I'm sure all the other parents have seen many ofl the pictures their students took. They are absolutely stunning, including some video clips. Bravo!
    Earl and Barbara Wang

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mel,

    I've been addicted to this blog since the day you left on your adventure of a lifetime. It's wonderful to have you all home safe and sound. Like Poppy has always said. "You travel far over land and sea and then one day it's clear as can be. The sweetest mile your ever roam is the last mile home.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish to show some appreciation to you just for rescuing me from such a situation. Just after browsing throughout the the web and meeting proposals that were not pleasant, I was thinking my entire life was well over. Being alive without the presence of strategies to the problems you've fixed through the guideline is a crucial case, and the ones that could have in a wrong way affected my career if I hadn't discovered the website. Your own personal knowledge and kindness in controlling all areas was excellent. I am not sure what I would've done if I hadn't encountered such a stuff like this. I'm able to at this point look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot so much for the high quality and result oriented guide. I will not think twice to propose your web site to any person who desires care on this issue.
    Royal Sovereign Fast Sort, 2 Row Digital Coin Sorter Black / Silver (FS-2D)

    ReplyDelete
  16. seriously missing my chacos.. http://www.flickr.com/groups/chaco_sandals/pool/with/4733546589/

    ReplyDelete